Our library is located at Parkview Community Lounge, 75 Queenspark Drive, Parklands. See our Location page for maps and travel details for getting to our library. There are many resources available to our members. Non-members are also welcome to visit our library for a look-around – donations appreciated.
- 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month, 12 noon – 3pm
- 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month, 12 noon – 3pm
Upcoming library days are:
- Thursday 1 December, 12 noon – 3pm
- Saturday 10 December, 12 noon – 3pm
Christmas/New Year Hours
Our library will close for the year on 10 December, and reopen 5 January 2023. During January we will be open every Thursday and Saturday.
We can open the library by arrangement for visitors to Christchurch – email email@example.com if you would like to arrange a time.
Resources available at the library:
- internet-connected computers
- microfiche including NZ Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1840 to 1990, divorce information extracted from NZ Truth and an index to petitions to Parliament 1854-1975
- CD-Rom indexes including Kiwi Index v.1, NZ Burial Locator, NZ Marriages 1836-1956, Passenger Lists – Victoria, Australia Outwards to New Zealand 1852-1923, and many more
- an extensive book collection to give background information on the places and time your ancestors may have lived in New Zealand or overseas
- Canterbury school admission registers and school histories – these are a wonderful source for information about our families. See our Research page for information on requesting a school admission register look-up.
- local parish registers and cemetery transcripts
- many other historical resources.
If you have any questions about the library holdings, or would like to know more about being a volunteer helper in the library, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call into the library during our opening hours to see what is involved.
FamilySearch Affiliate Library
We are a FamilySearch Affiliate Library. This lets you view restricted FamilySearch records online – those with a key symbol beside or the record, or where the location says “Family History Library”. These records are available on our library computers, or you can bring your own device to access them in our library.
Our library catalogue is available to search on the computer in the Library Room. There is also a printout of all books, microfiche and CD-ROMs in the catalogue as at 28 September 2021. This printout is also available in pdf format below. Use Ctrl-F to search for a particular word in the title.
- Books in our library 29 September 2022
- CD-Roms in our library 29 September 2022
- Microfiche in our library 29 September 2022
Some Key Library Holdings
These are in pdf format, updated 29 September 2022.
- Histories of New Zealand organisations
- Canterbury church histories
- Canterbury organisations
- Canterbury school histories
- Family histories
- Irish resources
- Monumental inscriptions of Ireland
- New Zealand Armed Forces
- New Zealand shipping
- New Zealand religion/church histories
- New Zealand school histories and magazines
- Scottish resources
- Monumental inscriptions of Scotland